Last Updated: 13th February, 2017. It’s such a pain to get rid of that stubborn, recurring unwanted hair on the body! Men and women alike, wish the hair grows abundantly where it is really required to grow; but the wish granting genie somehow seems to have missed our wish. Let it be! The technology has given us the headway! Waxing, shaving, epilating are now conventional ways of hair removal. What we are bringing up here is Laser Hair Removal Technology. It’s the latest trend in unwanted hair removal these days.
Since the means of hair removal by laser treatment is gaining popularity and is relatively a new technique, there is a hazy understanding of the technology and how it works. We attempt to give you a clear picture of what is laser hair removal, how does it work, what is the cost, the necessary pre-& post treatment care one should be taking etc. Hang on and read further:
The Concept of Laser Hair Removal:
Laser Hair Removal is a medical procedure where in a strong shaft of light is used to penetrate the surface of the skin which is absorbed by the melanin (hair pigment that gives it color) and the heat thus produced impair the hair follicles. This procedure incapacitates the hair follicles’ ability to regrow hair for a long time and sometimes to nil.
There are various types of lasers used in hair removal procedure. Some are visible lights and some lasers are close to infra-red radiations. Darker skin tones need enhanced wavelength of light beams / lasers to restrict the hair follicles from regrowth. Whereas, lighter skin tones need lesser wavelength of lasers for treatment.
The wavelength is generally measured in nanometers and the laser unit is termed as pulse width (that is, the length of heat pulse coming out of a laser beam). The more the pulse width the more damage it will cause to the hair follicle.
The laser will have a cooling component attached to it that keeps the epidermal skin cool so that any skin discoloration (hyperpigmentation / hypopigmentation) can be prevented. Sometimes, a coolant spray or a cool air are also used to keep the epidermal skin cool.
Popular Types of Laser Hair Removal:
Ruby Laser: This laser is suitable for very pale skin tone. It causes more pain if used on dark or fairer skin tones. Ruby laser uses red light laser that has wavelength of 694.3 nm.
Alexandrite Laser: This laser has wavelength of 755 nm and is most widely used because of its safe procedural ability on almost all skin tones. Its light beam is very close to infra-red light (with wavelength of about 800 nm to 1 mm)
Pulsed Diode Array Laser: With 810 nm, this laser is best suited for pale to medium skin tones. This too, like Alexandrite laser is most preferred among cosmetic laser treatment professionals for its long-lasting effect and causing less pain in patients.
YAG Laser: This laser instrument can emit light beam of about 1064 nm, that is ideal for treatment of dark skin tones. It is also used on other skin tones safely.
Off late cosmetic laser treatment professionals are using another technique for hair removal that is loosely termed as laser hair removal treatment, but technically it is not a laser treatment. That is Intense Pulsed Light or IPL laser.
Intense Pulsed Light Laser: It is a bunch of deep and rapidly pulsating flash lights with 810 nm of wavelength that is used to remove hair from pale to medium skin tones. It works as effectively as any other laser.
Now, let us know the Procedure for Laser Hair Removal:
- The area to be treated is cleansed and applied an anesthetic gel to reduce the pain sensation.
- Everyone in the treatment room should wear an eye protection gear.
- The skin is held tightly and laser treatment is given to the specific area.
How much time does it take?
For smaller patches like forehead or upper lips the laser treatment will take couple of minutes and for larger parts such as legs, arms, back take few hours for the treatment.
You certainly would want to know the pre-laser hair removal care, right? Here you go:
- Don’t remove your hair by any means for 2-6 weeks prior to going for a laser treatment. That means, no shaving, bleaching, waxing or epilating! YES. The more visible your hair, the effective the treatment will be.
- Wear sun screen throughout; before your scheduled laser treatment.
Post- Laser Hair Removal Care:
- Don’t let direct sunlight fall on the laser treated area. Apply the recommended sun screen lotion by your dermatologist.
- Use the recommended range of skin care products especially formulated for laser treated skin.
- Don’t apply any cosmetics on the treated area.
- Stay away from sauna bath, sun bath, tanning bed, sun lamp or any kind of indoor or outdoor tanning means.
Results of Laser Hair Removal:
The results of the laser treatment obviously varies from person to person. You will not get the similar results your friend got last week. Your skin tone, hair density, growth pattern, laser technique used are some of the variables that give different results to different people.
You will see hair growth after couple of months or sometimes years. Even if the hair regrows in the laser treated area, it will be finer and lighter in color.
So, how do we summarize the Laser Hair Removal Treatment? By listing out the treatment’s benefits and side-effects.
BENEFITS of Laser Hair Removal Treatment
- It is a quick and effective way of unwanted hair removal.
- Pain caused during the treatment is less likely to affect you for a longer time and you will be up and going in few hours.
- It is almost a permanent solution to your hair removal problem, even if the hair regrows it won’t be that thick, dark and frequent as it used to be before laser treatment.
- The laser treatment offers precise hair removal solution, keeping the surrounding skin intact.
- Laser treatments give far superior results as compared to conventional hair removing methods like waxing, shaving and epilating.
The worrying part, Side-Effects of a Laser Hair Removal Treatment:
- After the laser treatment, you will experience some discomfort over the treated area like, itching and burning. APPLY SOOTHING MOSITURIZERS GENEROUSLY. Cold Compressor treatment on the laser treated area works wondrously comforting.
- There are chances of skin discoloration.
- There might also be a sun burn kind of feeling on the treated area. Occasionally, blisters too may appear. APPLY SUNSCREEN LOTION. This condition will subside in 1-3 days.
- If not taken proper care recommended by the dermatologist, the laser treated area might get infected due to sweat, dust and pollution. KEEP THE AREA COVERED.
If taken adequate care, laser treatment will less likely to cause skin related issues.
How many sessions of laser treatments for hair removal are ideal and how they are spaced?
Most of the time, one laser treatment session in every 4-6 weeks is carried out by the dermatologist. However, it largely depends on the patient’s hair growth pattern, hair density, hair color, skin tone etc.
And here comes the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of laser hair removal treatment: THE COST!
As the technology used in this method of hair removal is advanced, the cost will be high compared to other hair removing methods.
General cost of laser hair removal treatments per session is:
$100- $250: for small areas like upper lip, chin, bikini line, under arms.
$250- $600: for face, half legs, half arms, abdomen
$600- $900: back, full legs.
Thinking how to finance the laser hair removal procedure?
Since it is an optional cosmetic procedure, insurance companies won’t pay you. You can work out with your credit card provider for monthly easy instalments or better still is save up for the procedure.
The clinics too have in-house financing options like easy instalments that can be spread across your sessions.
## Laser Hair Removal treatment is carried out by a trained practitioner in laser treatments for cosmetic purposes. Make sure to check the credentials of the practitioner.
## Laser hair removal treatment works best on brown and black hair from single session itself.
## The laser treatment is not much effective on light colored hair like, blonde, gray or red. However, such people may require to take few more extra sessions than the dark colored hair person.
## Check out which laser device is used in the clinic.
## Collect info of various clinics providing laser hair removal treatments and go through the reviews of the clinic beforehand.
## Pick discounted packages because they are cost effective than paying per session. You would anyways need multiple sessions of laser treatment.
Some of the Providers of Laser Hair Removal Procedure in US are:
- BodyBrite USA
- Find the qualified professionals here : DocShop
- Manhattan Laser Centers USA
- Laser Hair Removal USA
- Indy Laser Center
- Laser Hair USA
- Tria Beauty
Check out this video clip for laser hair removal procedure demo:
Our Conclusion: Laser hair removal treatment though costly initially works out to be cheaper later as compared to repeated hair removal sessions every month for other methods.
#Be Gorgeous #Stay Gorgeous
- Laser Hair USA