Last Updated: 2nd January, 2017. DO you wish for smooth, shiny, straight bangs that listen to you?! Well, who doesn’t? All of us, ladies, are phenomenally diehard fans of beautiful locks and especially those who yield to our wishes, while we – style, leave it lose, travel, expect it to be low on maintenance and many more such wishes! There are indeed some helping hands out there, who can transform your hair into straight cascading locks; they are Hair Straightening Creams! We will here enlighten you all about hair straightening creams – what are they, how to use them and some of the best products available online.
There are different ways to straighten out your hair – One, Blow drying / flat ironing on the dry hair, and the other using hair straightening creams.
By using hot irons and blow dryers daily, you are risking hair damage. The heat causes the hair shafts to lose moisture and become brittle.
On the other hand, visiting salons regularly is hectic and costs a bomb! However, salon’s hair straightening treatments are either long lasting or permanent, sometimes.
You need not let your dream of having straight hair vanish yet! You can use a hair straightening cream at home, that does the job equally well. Only thing is, it is temporary. But as long as you are not severing your hair nor spending a bomb on the straightening treatment; you can always be happy returning to this self-treating of hair.
How a hair straightening cream act?
Allow us to dust you with a small chemistry class J The chemicals in the hair straightening creams or lotions break the bonds in the hair (i.e., they alter the chemical bonding of the hair) allowing it to restructure and restyle. The bio chemicals present in the creams then restructure the hair bonds and make it more pliable and straight. This treatment is permanent as the chemical structure of the hair is changed; shampoo, curling or ironing won’t affect the thus straightened hair; unless they grow. The new hair that grows is visibly like your original hair sans the straightening.
This is how it is done in salons that give more long lasting and permanent results.
The hair straightening creams meant for home use, are less chemical oriented and mild. They are heat activated meaning the chemicals in the hair straightening cream get activated when given heat treatment through blow dryers and/ or hot irons and bond to give straightened hair.
How to apply a hair straightening cream?
Must: Strand test- Apply the hair straightening cream on a hair strand and leave for 5-10 minutes. If your hair breaks or loses its color, then say good bye to that cream right away.
Always use products from reputed brands and for mentioned duration. Follow instructions carefully. They are for your hair’s safety.
10 Steps Application procedure of Hair Straightening Cream:
- Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of all the dust, dirt and excess oil. Clean hair sets the perfect platform for the hair straightening treatment.
- Towel dry your shampooed hair and comb through the damp hair first with your fingers and next with a wide toothed comb, clearing any tangles.
- Take small quantity of hair straightening cream and start applying on the hair; 1 inch away from the roots till the tip of the hair.
- Don’t take too much quantity at once and smear through the hair. Take small quantities and apply evenly.
- Brush through your hair by a wide toothed comb like a shampoo brush to spread the cream throughout the hair evenly.
- Part your hair into convenient sections. Ideally divide your hair into upper and lower sections from the back your ears. And halve that into two by parting your hair in the middle.
- Secure the sections with wide toothed hair clips.
- If your hair straightening cream has instructions to leave it for some time (like 15-20 minutes) on the hair & wash it; PLEASE DO SO.
- Otherwise, start blow drying your hair section wise combing from the root to the tip with a paddle or a round brush.
- Until your hair dries completely, blow dry section wise and lo! You are all set with straight hair.
A Tip: After blow drying if you set hair with hot ironing, your hair sets to be straight for longer duration. Make sure you set the hair straight while hot ironing, because the setting done during this phase, stays till the straightening effect.
By now, you know how straightening creams work and how to apply them. Check out some best of the lot hair straightening creams available online:
- Wellastrate straightening cream with Hydro Safe Complex
Wellastrate straightening cream comes in two variants mild & intense along comes a neutralizer cream. Packed with hydro safe complex it restores the moisture in the hair. The cationic formula gives strong and healthy structural balance to the hair.
2. Streax Pro Hair Straightener Straightening cream
Streax Pro too comes in two variants mild & intense. It is water resistant; making it best bet for frizzy hair. It has some active ingredients that nourish the hair and make it more manageable & shiny; all while caring for your tresses.
3. Marc Anthony True Professional Simply Straight
This hair straightening cream comes right down from the world renowned celebrity hair stylist Marc Anthony. Combined with best of silk fiber and silicone it safeguards from heat & acts as a sweat repellant. The cream is an alcohol free composition.
4. L’Oréal Paris Studio Silk & Gloss Hot Straight Cream
L’Oréal Paris’s studio line Silk & Gloss Hot Straight Cream has a special thermo protect that is heat and damage protectant and also keeps the hair straight and ruffle free for almost 48 hours. It’s got unique micro fibers of silk protein that makes the hair super smooth and shiny.
5. Schwarzkopf Glatt Hair Straightener Cream
Filled with keratin content, Schwarzkopf’s Glatt hair straightening cream gives perfectly straight hair doing away the frizz. It has three variants for frizzy hair, curly hair & curly colored hair. You can select the one that suits you. There is a neutralizer too for sealing in the result and keeping the straightened hair intact for longer time.
6. Cynos Hair Straightening Cream
The cream seeps into the inner layers of the hair shaft, providing elasticity, strength and shape to the hair. It also relaxes the hair and gives more dramatic results.
7. Matrix Opti Straight Cream
Saves hair strands from breakage as it deep conditions hair with multi ionic technology. This product has two varying strengths – Normal: for medium to fine, wavy/ frizzy hair and Resistant: for medium to thick, curly / frizzy hair.
8. Redken Sheer Straight 06
The protein enriched straightening cream form Redken strengthens hair and provides sheen & softness. Unlike other straightening products it livens up the hair and improves manageability.
9. Kiehl’s Heat Protective Silk Straightening Cream
Kiehl’s straightening cream is enriched with soy, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. This unique blend locks away the humidity, keeping hair soft & supple and away from hair damage like breakage & dullness. It doesn’t weigh the hair down and make it limp. This product especially suits very curly & frizzy hair.
10. Bellapreto Hair Straightening System
Well! This one claims to have 100% natural ingredients like that of minerals, plants & herbs. The product also claims that no dryer or neutralizer is needed to set the hair. You will have straight, shiny, naturally straightened hair just out of shower!
11. TIGI Bedhead Straighten Out
A temporary hair straightener product, it lasts for 48 hours. Apply to dampened hair and straighten it by blow drying and hot ironing to seal the results. It has thermo setting polymers to last the effect for longer time and save the hair from humidity.
12. L’Oréal Extenso Straightener Cream
The straightening effect of this remains for 2 straight months, depending on your hair type! It gives you natural looking smooth and straight hair. Since it stays longer, your application routine cuts down drastically.
13. Berina for Resistance Hair Straight
Quickly turns your hair into smooth & straight tresses. And the neutralizer seals in the moisture and gives long lasting straightened effect.
14. L’Oréal Paris Smooth Intense Straight Perfecting Balm
The keratin infused perfecting balm evens out each and every strand of hair before it is washed and hot ironed.
15. Wellastrate cream Neutralizer with built in Conditioner
Another Wellastrate product that comes with built-in conditioner that conditions the hair shafts deeply along with straightening it. The box also contains a neutralizer. The cream has three variants – Strong, Normal & Mild. Depending on your hair type choose the variant, for example; if your hair is curly, pick strong variant and if it’s normal, not much curly hair, pick mild variant. Choosing right variation brings down the chemical usage on your hair and ensured your hair’s health.
Few Wise Words before ending the note:
Straightened hair needs you to take some extra care so that the straightened effect lasts longer. Here are some tips to help you care your newly straightened hair:
- Use hair products like shampoo, conditioner, serum, sprays etc. that are specifically formulated for straightened hair.
- Deep conditioning becomes all the more important and essential than before. Why? All those chemicals, however improvised are still chemicals. They do damage your hair to some extent making it brittle.
– Don’t forget to oil your hair regularly.
– And get hair spa done every month.
– Condition your hair every time you shampoo.
- Don’t straighten your hair very often, for all the obvious reasons.
- Limit blow drying and hot ironing your hair. Your hair has already gone through lot of heat; further heating will damage the hair shafts.
- Check your hair’s resilience before jumping in for another chemical treatment in your hair. Make sure your hair can take it.
Liked the information we shared with you? Take care and…